Re: xdm and startx

On November 22, 2002 11:05 am, Doug MacFarlane wrote:

> > >when i typ in startx i get fatal screen error, no screens found

In 2 recent woody installs, I've gotten this error each time after finishing
the dbootstrap setup.  In one case (an old laptop) the autoconfigure didn't
work, and I used xf86cfg to get it work.  This is the config program provided
by the xfree86 team, and it has the nice feature of not creating a big,
complicated xf86config file.  It's short and simple.

> > >and one of the shutdown messages is also that xdm is not running.
> >
> > That means you don't have X installed/configured.
> >
> > Try "apt-get install x-window-system"
>
> Kent, I assume that's the equivalent of running tasksel and selecting
> X-Windows?

No, tasksel X-Windows gives you an assortment of window-managers, desktops,
and stuff.  apt-get install x-window-system just gives you:

Depends: x-window-system-core, lbxproxy, proxymngr, twm, xdm, xfs, xfwp,
xnest, xprt, xspecs, xterm, xvfb