Re: 2.4.18 SMP Kernel

On 22 Nov 2002, 09:17:49, deFreese, Barry wrote:
> O.K., so I got the Proliant 1600 up and running with Potato.  Did a dist
> upgrade to Woody and yesterday I realized that I don't have the SMP kernel
> installed.  I have pulled down the kernel-header-2.4.18-686-SMP and the
> kernel-source-2.4.18 and am getting ready to build my new kernel.
>
> Now for the newbie questions:
>
> Are there any gotchas that I need to watch for?
> How do I make sure that the Compaq Smart Array driver gets built in?

I installed the 2.4.18-686-SMP prepackaged kernel and it went without a hitch.
 The only thing to watch out for is to be sure to edit lilo.conf to add the
initrd=/initrd.img directive to the default lilo stanza so that the install
will add the proper initrd boot files and symlinks.

I don't know about the Compaq Array controller.  I believe support for it
is compiled in the compact kernels, but I don't know if the prepackaged kernels
are of the vanilla flavor or compact.

Best of luck.

--
Doug MacFarlane