RE: Debian Testing Crashes Overnight *solved*

Osamu Aoki wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:23:04PM -0600, Michael Kahle wrote:
>> Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
>> >
>> >I've heard of problems with locked screensavers in the past, and I
>> >wouldn't be surprised if that *could* be a problem, but what is more
>> >important is whether or not the system hangs at the same time each day
>> >(potential cron job problem - check the tail of the back logs.)
>> >Alternately, it could be a hardware problem from poor handling of acpi.
>> >
>> >Could you provide when the last entries in your syslogs have been, and
>> >anything of interest about your kernel (version, whether you roll your
>> >own, etc.?)
>>
>> Ok, I just went out for lunch... when I got back... screen was locked.
So
>> perhaps it's not cron.  Maybe it's the screen saver.  I am going to
unload
>> the module for APM and see if that makes a difference.
>I  had similar problem in Woody.  By moving to X4.2, I havo no problem.
>Go Sarge!
>--
>~\^o^/~~~ ~\^.^/~~~ ~\^*^/~~~ ~\^_^/~~~ ~\^+^/~~~ ~\^:^/~~~ ~\^v^/~~~ +++++
>        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
> .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
> : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
> `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social
Contract

Thanks to all who wrote giving me suggestions.  I was pleasantly surprised
when I came into work this morning and the xmatrix screensaver was greeting
me running, and not having crashed my system!  It turned out that the
problem was with acpi as Mark L. Kahnt suggested.  I unloaded the module
yesterday, and stability to my system seems to have been restored.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Michael