RE: GeForce4 MX 440 & Woody

With all due respect Mike, you should look at using the nvidia accelerated
driver.  I've installed it on three machines this week, and it is not only
fairly simple with Debians excellent package management system, it also
makes an incredible difference to the speed of GL graphics.

Uncle Andy's quick and dirty Nvidia setup.

# installs the debian sorce packages
apt-get update
apt-get install nvidia-kernel-src nvidia-glx-src
# in an xterm as the root user ie. su type (assumes src 2.X.XX is installed
and ln -s to /usr/src/linux
cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
make xconfig
# when the xconfig window pops up, load the config file from
/boot/config-2.X.XX.  Exit and save the config.  If you have a custom
kernel, **don't** do the make mrproper above.
cd /usr/src
tar -zxf nvidia-kernel-src.tar.gz
cd /usr/src/linux
make-kpkg modules_image
cd /usr/src
dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-KVER*.deb
cd /usr/src/nvidia-glx-1.0.2880
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
cd /usr/src
dpkg -i nvidia-glx*.deb
# install the kernel framebuffer driver.  If it can't be found, make sure it
is in your /lib/modules/you_running_kernel_/kernel/drivers/video directory.
If it isn't, copy it there from where dpkg installed it in
/lib/modules/2.X.XX/kernel/drivers/video.
modprobe NVdriver
#edit your XF86Config-4 file.
# replace	Driver "nv"
# with	Driver "nvidia"
# make sure there is a line that says
# 		Load "glx"
# Delete any lines that say
#		Load "dri"
#		Load "GLcore"
# now reboot your machine or simply do a /etc/init.d/[xgk]dm restart or a
killall -HUP X

Hope that works.  If not read
/usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-src/README.Debian,
/usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-src/README.Debian and
/usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx/README.gz.  Everything is there.

Good work to the people who maintain these packages.  Only one problem.  It
would be good to make sure the drivers get put into the running kernel
directory rather than the version number directory if the base kernel number
is equal.

Andrew