Re: Help! Debian unbootable after XP re-install :-(

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:59:00 +1300, Haralambos Geortgilakis
<haralambos@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>Hi Yall & especially Doug & Pigeon,
>
>thanx for the feedback guys  :-)
>
>Here is what I've done so far.
>
>In re-installing XP, I used Partition Magic & this changed the order of
>/dev/hdax
>
>I used Knoppix, to mount my hdd's, then my Tux Boot Floppy & edited the
>latters "syslinux.cfg", to point to the new root partition, in my case
>/dev/hda3...
>
>Why, "rescue root=/dev/hda3" failed, I dunno.
>
>Anyhow, that last piece of magic worked  :-)
>
>Now I get the following error message when re-running lilo....
>
><snip>
>haralambos:/home/haralambos# lilo
>Added Linux *
>Skipping /vmlinuz.old
>Fatal: First sector of /dev/hda3 doesn't have a valid boot signature
>haralambos:/home/haralambos#
><snip>
>
>How do I fix that mess?
>
>My /boot is /dev/hda1   ????
>
>*BFN*

man lilo suggests lilo -i /boot/boot.b (replace with filename of a
good boot image, default is /boot/boot.b but you may have more recent
/boot/boot.NNNN images. If your boot is on /dev/hda1 you'll have to
mount that to read the boot image. I suggest using lilo -t -i
/boot/boot.b to start with, the -t means go through the motions but
don't actually do anything.

As I said I don't use lilo so don't rely on this too much.

Pigeon