Re: login to desktops

M.Wegmann wrote:

hi, I moved from suse to debian, better I am still on the way. Up to now I have two questions. After the installation (which looked fine for me) i get a text login. Is that correct?

Depends. Debian only installs what you tell it to install, instead of everything and the kitchen sink like some other distros. This gives _you_ control instead of giving control to some marketing droid.

no graphical login? and second, if the text login is correct, how do I start windowmaker or kde?

You can run "startx" to start X; the particular window manager/environment will be controlled by ~/.xinitrc (or is it ~/.xsession? -- I forget). Simply create a file with your favorite text editor (nano, pico, ae, vi, vim, joe, mcedit, etc) and put in a single line for whichever wm you want. For example, for icewm, it'd be "icewm". I think window maker would probably be "wmaker", and I think KDE would either be "kde" or "startkde"; you may need to do a bit of research elsewhere on that.

If you want a graphical login manager, you can
   "apt-get install xdm"
(or gdm or kdm or wdm instead of "xdm"). You may need to start it manually with a command like "/etc/init.d/xdm start".

thanks for your help, cheers Martin

Kent