Re: [OT] Love you guys

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:18:43 -0800 (PST), "nate"
<debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:

>for me its more of a company thing rather then a product thing. I don't
>like compaq's close relationship with MS, their history of having crappy
>desktop products, propritary parts in their servers(when I ordered 2 new
>cpus for my DL380 they came with this extra i think it was voltage regulator,
>and they costed like 3 times more then normal cpus, another example is I
>had to spend about 2 hours flashing firmware and bios shit to get the
>cpus working, luckily compaq stayed on the phone the whole time which was
>nice). But what it really comes down to for me is the company. For different
>reasons I do not purchase sony, toshiba, and many other brands where I can
>(sometimes something is OEM'd and relabeled).

I come across old Compaqs occasionally and they are a pain in the
butt. Things like you can't get into the BIOS setup without a special
boot disk, power supplies that only have a 5V output so you can't use
normal disk drives. And they do the Volvo trick of putting a Compaq
label on stuff and upping the price 300%.

Agree wholeheartedly re Sony etc. Ever tried to get servicing
information on a Sony product? And the build quality is crap, with
stupid things like interconnecting grounds via the mounting lugs on a
heatsink, and arranging for the voltage regulators in a
preamp/power-amp combination to self-destruct if you unplug the preamp
board from the power amp section.

Pigeon