Re: [OT] Anyone using LaCie External IEEE1394 DVD-RW drive? ANSWERED

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 16:39, Ron Johnson wrote:
> If so, which host adapter are you using with it?
>
> Also, which userland software?
>
> >From the i'net, I see that these packages must be installed.
>   gscanbus
>   libavc1394-0
>   libraw1394-5 (but is this needed since I use 2.4.18?)
> Am I missing anything?  What about murasaki or hotplug?

The CompUSA PCI 1394 Firewire Host Adapter works great with
the LaCie drive, although so far I've only tried backing up
files, not authoring multimedia.

http://www.linux1394.org/start_req.html was totally helpful,
but incomplete.  After much googling and exploring /proc,
I happened upon /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info.  By cat'ing this
file, I could determine which device to refer to with mount(8).

Unfortunately for Free Software, I was only able to use the
drive with cdrecord-ProDVD.  For some reason, I couldn't get
the dvdrecord package to work.

Here's a comprehensive(?) list of the software I'm using:
- custom kernel (from kernel-source-2.4.19)
- libraw1394-5    0.9.0-2
- gscanbus        0.7.1-2
- scsitools       0.3-2
- cdrecord-ProDVD 1.11a35

These modules are installed from /etc/modules:
  ieee1394
  ohci1394
  raw1394
  sbp2
However, raw1394 & ohci1394 are (unused), so I think that
they are only used for multimedia.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "they love our milk and honey, but preach about another    |
|  way of living"                                            |
|    Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"                |