Re: Wireless LAN

Rusty Minden <clownsinc@attbi.com> writes:
> I am going to be getting a wireless LAN 802.11b for my home
> network. I would like to get one that is supported by GNU/Linux.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any card built with an Orinoco chipset should work fine; this turns
out to be "most of them".

> I have two desktop computers and a laptop computer I will be
> setting up. The Laptop and one desktop run Debian Sarge on the
> 2.4.18 kernel. The other computer runs Windows ME for the wife.
> I have a small network in my computer lab set up with the server
> and the laptop when I am in the room, but wireless would be a
> good addition.

When I've looked at this before, wireless cards for PCs are hard to
come by and expensive.  What you wind up with is actually a one-card
PCMCIA slot and a normal PCMCIA 802.11 card.  I've found it easier and
cheaper to build a small wired network, which includes the 802.11
access point, and then run laptops (which already have PCMCIA and/or
built-in 802.11) off of that.

	-- Abra Mitchell