Re: OT: Politics of Java

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 22:05, Michael Kahle wrote:
> Interesting.  I am going to have to do some reading on this.
> Does the fact that they control the "standard" prohibit others from
> implementing the language with other standards if they see fit?  Forking
> the project so to speak?

In theory, yes.  In practice what has happened is Sun has moved faster than
the people doing the white room implementation.  Similar to how Wine took
forever to be useful.  Java is more than just a language you also have to
implement and interoperate with all of the libraries.  There are a couple of
almost there Java implementations in the free world but there is still no
replacement for Swing, Beans, etc.