Re: OT: Politics of Java

At 2002-11-21T05:06:49Z, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:

> I'm just curious; do other folks (particularly real developers, not just
> tinkerer-wanna-be's like myself) have a similar problem with Java, or have
> I just been channeling too much RMS lately?

You're not alone.  I've never felt good about Java for the same reason that
I don't like dealing with proprietary software: if the vendor decides to EOL
the software, I'm stuck with a glob of quickly-obsoleting mess.  Sun may
very well develop and maintain Java for decades to come, but they could also
drop the project tomorrow and start reigning in usage of their trademark.
It probably won't happen, but it *could*, and that kind of bothers me.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.