Re: [debian-user] Which ICQ Client is better?

>--[Meir Kriheli]--<mksoft@netvision.net.il>
> On Tuesday 12 November 2002 18:52, Pontus Edvardsson wrote:

> I use sim-icq. It's really good, supports version 8 of ICQ protocol (ICQ 2001)
> with lots of other features as well. It is a qt/kde app, and they have a deb
> for download in the downloads section. Might want to check it out:

While sim might have some nice ideas, you may want to consider that it is
one big rip off. The "author" uses libicq2000, but replaced the copyright
information to claim authorship of every file of it! It also copied the
client detection code from mICQ (which is the best there is) pretty much
verbatim, also claiming authorship. The author some time after the 0.8
release at least attributed it, however, he "released" code originally under
GPL v2 still as his own code under GPL version >=2! A look at the includes
also reveals lots of #defines found in licq, which suggests some copying
going on from them as well.

For those copyright violations, I urge everyone to boycott sim until the
author has released a legal version.

Yours, Rüdiger (mICQ author/maintainer).

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.
         100  € = 195 DM 58 pf.