Re: [OT] Love you guys

"deFreese, Barry" <Barry.deFreese@nike.com> writes:
> What do you mean especailly with a Compaq?  I personally think that the
> Proliant servers are some of the best PC-based servers out there.

My experience with Compaq is colored by experiences I had with them
"way back" in the early 90's (92 or 93 I think). They used to play all
sorts of tricks with their hardware to "overcome" some of the
limitations, as they perceived them, in the hardware on the
PC. Unfortunately this made them a bear to install Linux on. Similiar
to a lot of laptops in more recent times. You know, DSP modems,
winmodems, proprietary sound chips, etc. Things along those lines.

Perhaps they've since moved away from that practice and I'm being
unfair to the modern Compaq. But I haven't bought a Compaq since then
because of all those problems.

Of course Linux 0.99 wasn't exactly the picture of perfection that it
is today either! ;)

Gary