Re: Gnome / Gtk menu fonts: galeon, mozilla, pan, gabber (sid/unstable)

try it with putting the following in your ~/.gtkrc

style "user-font"
{
  fontset="-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

you can use simpler font names if you have set up aliases on your system (i didn't).

further you may want to checkout the XFree86 Font De-uglification HOWTO
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/index.html
for further references and tips

To get antialiased fonts in GNOME 2 see
http://people.debian.org/~walters/gnome2.html
I tried this but remove the settings afterwards because i messed up the fonts in eclipse (you could fix that, i guess, but i wasn't in the mood to fiddle around with it)

cheers,
#!michael

Karsten M. Self wrote:
Menu fonts for a number of applications, most of them Gnome / Gtk apps
(and I suspect the latter) are now larger than I'd like them to be.

Apps affected include Galeon, Pan, Gabber, Mozilla, and dillo.

With recent upgrades, I've now got Gnome2 partially installed on this
x86 Debian/unstable system.  Some of the native Gnome2 tools *do* have
the proper system fonts, as do some (but not all) apps (most notably:
Mozilla) when run under a Gnome2 session (my standard desktop is
WindowMaker).

I seem to recall modifying application fonts via the "old" Gnome 1
control panel.  The Gnome2 control panel settings aren't taking for most
of these apps.  I've also tried fishing under ~/.gnome and ~/.gnome2 but
can't find anything that appears to be a general menus font setting.

I've also found references to gtkrc files, either under /etc or
~/.gtkrc, but I'm not sure what the syntax or possible contents are, and
can find no other related documentation.

Anyone got a work-through for this?

Thanks.

Peace.