Re: manual for vim

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 08:35:49AM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> -- Sandip P Deshmukh <deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com> wrote
> (on Tuesday, 19 November 2002, 05:17 PM +0530):
> > i have recently shifted to vim and will like to have with me some good
> > manual of vim with me. preferably single file, text format (like mutt manual).
> > something that is exhaustive. so that i can look it up before i post a
> > query on mailing list.
> I'm not sure if you want a dead-tree manual or a console-based one. In

what is a dead-tree manual? sorry if it is a basic or off-topic question

> VIM itself, typing
>     :help <keywords>

i will try this.

> will usually get you what you need. If you're not sure how to use the
> help system or want to learn some basic commands, try typing, from the
> command line (not in vim)
>     vimtutor

tried that and so only could get started!

> And go through it (takes maybe an hour from start to finish).
>
> If you want a dead-tree copy, I can't recommend highly enough Steve
> Oualline's "Vi IMproved--VIM" book from New Riders Press. It doesn't

oh does dead tree mean in printed book format? then no - i did not mean
a dead tree manual

--
thanx for help

sandip p deshmukh

Simulations are like miniskirts, they show a lot and hide the essentials.
		-- Hubert Kirrman