Re: MP# (or OGG) -> WAV? How?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 20:58:48 -0500, Travis Crump
<pretzalz@techhouse.org> wrote:

>Pigeon wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 12:28:14 -0500, sean finney <seanius@seanius.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>also, if you're debating whether or not you should go to ogg, i highly
>>>reccommend it.  first of all, it's a free codec, and many people don't
>>>know that mp3 actually isn't free.  secondly, it's a _better_ codec,
>>>with better audio quality in less disk space, among other reasons.
>>

>> It also means you're not supporting the commercial minidisc/MP3player
>> axis. This is a Good Thing, because it makes it more likely that
>> Moore's Law will kill off this whole horrid, horrid, horrid
>> lossy-audio-compression idea before it gets to the point of being
>> impossible to buy a supposedly full-rate CD that hasn't been munged by
>> some horrid lossy codec at some stage in its production. I fear this
>> will be a close-run thing, and soon.
>>
>> Pigeon
>>
>Ummm, you do realize that ogg is lossy as well, right?

Sure I do. But it's _free_; it's not a commercial product; it's not
something that Sony and pals can use to make money out of a
technically ignorant population who until fairly recently didn't have
too much objection to fourth-generation copies of compact cassettes.
(Many still don't!)

>From: Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
>Actually, Moore's "Law" has nothing to do with storage space or bandwidth,
>more of both being needed to store/transmit song collections today.

I was using the expression in its looser sense, as applied to areas of
technology other than processors which undergo the same sort of rapid
advance. How long before a 128Mb flash memory card is as quaint a
piece of obsolete junk as a 128Mb hard drive is now? You can get MP3
players with 20Gb hard drives in them - local shops don't seem to sell
20Gb hard drives anymore. Compare the capacities of a CD and a DVD.
Compressing audio is probably going to be fairly pointless soon.

I don't quite see why more storage space should be needed for music
collections today. I've seen some pretty vast stacks of LPs and
compact cassettes.

>Kirk Strauser
>In Googlis non est, ergo non est.

How many Googles?