RE: Blocking Kazaa with iptables

The input chain is for incoming packets. It is unlikely that kazza
clients use a special port - they probably take the first one available,
just like web clients.

If the client does essentially port scanning (to find a good server
port), there is little you can at the iptables level. You will have to
examine packets to deduce kazaa-ness. I don't know of a good way to do
this, but I'd be interested in the solution. Another novel solution
would be to have a stateful firewall that flags ip's that are trying
port 1214 and any ports immediately following. The worst that would
happen there is that legitimate uses of the higher ports will be
impossible for a single ip until kazaa is shut down on that ip. I like
that last solution since it doesn't require knowledge of packet
contents! But, I wouldn't know how to implement it, and users could get
around it by specifying a different initial port.