=?iso-8859-1?Q?Scandinavian carracters (=E5=E4=F6) get replaced with "?" in web browser?=

Hi,
I've been seeking help for this problem for quite a
while now, with no luck.

This in the case:
I launch a servlet from a JSP page. The servlet gets
strings from MySQL. The strings are the returned to
the JSP page.
The problem is that all åäö-carracters are exchanged
with the ? carracter in the web browser.
The JSP page has <meta ... charset="iso-8859-1">.

Typing åäö in console and X works (not in Jbuilder
though... argh). Search queries in mysql(console client)
and mysql-navigator return OK carracters.

My .inputr looks like this:
set meta-flag on
set input-meta on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on

My setup:
* Debian testing
* apache 1.3.26
* tomcat 3.3a
* mysql 3.23.52
* java 1.3.1_06

I'm using the 'qwerty/swedish' keyboard layout.
All help apriciated!

Please cc to this email.
(deb-list@linuxmail.org)

Yours