RE: locating the source for hdd activity

Did you try the find command I suggested?

Try something like (in a script, run as root):

sleep 310; find / -mount -type f -mmin -5
find /usr -mount -type f -mmin -5
find /home -mount -type f -mmin -5

Run it, then leave your computer alone until the script complete. It should
list all files modified in the last 5 minutes. I was able to figure out
samba was active every couple of minutes that way. Most likely you'll find
something in /var is getting touched.

It is unlikely that something is reading a file over and over but it might
be possible. You could temporarily reenable atimes and change the find
command to see if it finds anything.

There is also the possibilities that something is just creating and deleting
a file in which case you could remove the '-type f' from the find commands
above to hunt for directories as well.

And there is always 'lsof'. That might help you find something.