RE: locating the source for hdd activity

I've got my hd powering down just fine on my laptop with ext3. Use noatime,
as noted. You will also need to disable syslog marking (see
/etc/init.d/sysklogd, add "-m 0" as an option) and enable noflushd
(/etc/default/noflushd). This is with debian sid or woody, 2.4.18 kernel.

Another tip: once you are mounting noatime you can use find to hunt down any
files being modified. Leave you laptop on but untouched for 20 minutes or
so, then try (assuming only one partition):

find / -mount -type f -mmin -5

Will find everything modifed in the last five minutes.