Re: MP# (or OGG) -> WAV? How?

* stan <stanb@awod.com> [17-11-2002 15:20]:
> I'm reading a bunch of records inot myy system using the great gramofile
> package. I'm converting these .wav files to .mp3's (or maybe .ogg's) but I
> wonder if it's possible to go the other way?

You can create wavs to burn to cd from mp3 or ogg but you will not
obtain the original quality after a two-time conversion.

Depending on your ears and ofcourse the quality of the initial input
signal (record player + pre-amp, state of records, and all other
elements that make or break good sound reproduction), this might or
might not be an issue.

If you would like to have the best possible quality retained in the
digital format, you should have a look at a lossless audio codec.
Although I have never used it, you might like to try [1]flac. On
their website you will find information about flac and a comparison
to other codecs.

The way I usually hear music, the quality of mp3 is good enough.
However when I  sit down to really listen to music, I feel there is
something missing. I would suggest keeping your records nearby for
at least a while until you are _really_ sure that you don't mind or
don't hear any difference.

Bob

[1] http://flac.sourceforge.net/