ldap re-creating database

I didn't like the way Debian setup the initial ldap database for me and
want to start over.  I have tried purging the slapd package and
reinstalling after keeping my modified slapd.conf as well as trying to
manually remove each entry in the database.  I just want a clean slate
to start with so that I can use the Migration tools to set up a basic
server for authenticating users.

In my most recent attempt I deleted the /var/lib/ldap/* files, put my
slapd.conf file in place and started slapd. However, when I try to
migrate the base system I get "Invalid credentials" errors.

Basically, I want to do the following:
1. clear the directory completely
2. set the rootdn and rootpw in slapd.conf and other basic details such
   as indexes and access controls etc.  I use slappasswd to generate the
   password and cut and paste into slapd.conf
3. start slapd
4. run migrate_base.pl >/root/base.ldif
5. run ldapadd -x -D "cn=admin,dc=mycompany,dc=com" -W -f /root/base.ldif

Step 5 fails giving "ldap_bind: Invalid credentials".

Can someone tell me how to do it?

Cheers.
Mark.