Re: Modules Dont Load At Startup - THANKS

Thanks for all the responses.  I am begining to understand the roles of
the various module files.

For the moment I inserted the line alias char-major-195 NVdriver in
the file /etc/modutils/aliases and then ran modconf so the line is now
included in /etc/modules.conf.  With this change xdm runs successfully at bootup.
I dont know why my initial installation was incomplete.  I created a
directory /usr/local/nvidia and downloaded NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.tar.gz
and NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.tar.gz into this directory.  I unpacked each
of these and ran make install in the subdirectories they created.  Both
compilations completed successfully.  After this insmod NVdrivers worked
but I had to run it after each bootup and then restart xdm.  If I missed
something in this sequence I would appreciate knowing what I should have
done.