Re: dpkg portmap error

mdevin wrote:
I seem to have gotten dpkg into an inconsistent state for the portmap
package.  I can't install it and I can't remove it either.

I have tried the following:
apt-get install portmap
apt-get -f install portmap
apt-get remove portmap --purge
apt-get install portmap --fix-missing

Should I manually delete all the portmap files installed by dpkg?

Below is the error messages:

Thanks for any suggestions.
Mark.

# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 299  not upgraded.
7 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/24.2kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
(Reading database ... 90682 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace portmap 5-2 (using .../archives/portmap_5-2_i386.deb) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/portmap.prerm: /etc/init.d/portmap: No such file or directorydpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm: /etc/init.d/portmap: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/portmap_5-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/portmap: file does not exist
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/portmap_5-2_i386.deb
-SNIP- <

It looks like it is complaining that it cannot find the /etc/init.d/portmap file to remove. Why don't you create a "dummy" file there called "portmap" and let it remove it? Worth a try...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-