Re: vi as a text editor

-- Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote
(on Saturday, 16 November 2002, 01:12 PM -0500):
> This one time, at band camp, Sandip P Deshmukh said:
> > i have recently started using vi and i like it for its simplicity -
> > 'clean-ness'. somethings are missing though.
> >
> > one is managing words towards end of line. as i type, towards the end
> > of the line, it juts cuts the word. it neither hyphanates nor pushes
> > it to the next line.  is there way i could make vi do this?
> >
> > moreover, can i have macros? doing the same repetitive thing? i will
> > also like to bind them to key strokes.
> >
> > moreover, i have spell, ispell and aspell installed. is there a way i
> > can use them while in vi?
> >

> Try `dpkg -L vim`.  There are a ton of example macros, keymappings, etc
> that come with the package.  There is also a walktrhough to teach you
> the basics of using vim.
exec 'vimtutor' for a vim tutorial (it's part of the vim package).

I've used both vi and vim, and find vim is fantastic for all my editing
needs (from simple configuration file changes to coding in perl to mail
to news to...). And it doesn't slow down my 366Mhz (primary machine),
166Mhz (laptop), or 1.7GHz machines one bit :-) . And if you're serious
about learning vim, pick up a copy of Steve Oualline's "Vi IMproved --
VIM" book; worth it's weight in gold, if not more.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net