Re: Converting MS Word to postscript

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 04:20:43PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:

FYI since you've already solved the problem.

| I have tried printing to file from the Windows box, and it ouputs a .prn
| file, which is apparently of type:

.prn only means "came from a printer driver".  It bears no
relationship to the type of data contained in it.

| steve@gashuffer:~$ file Resume.prn
| Resume.prn: HP Printer Job Language data

PJL?  What HP printer model did you configure the driver for?
A lot of HP laser printers understand PCL, and the less-cheap ones
also understand PS.

| Not postscript, as I would have assumed.

If you pick the PS version of an HP driver (the one I often use is
"HP LaserJet IIIp Postscript") you'll get postscript out.  The IIIp
driver only emits grayscale postscript, though.

| gv refuses to open it,

because it isn't PS.

| but I can print it with lpr,

because your printer understands the data stream.

-D

--
Stay away from a foolish man,
for you will not find knowledge on his lips.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/