Re: allow users to shutdown

Am Sam, 2002-11-16 um 12.39 schrieb Sandip P Deshmukh:
> hello all
>
> i know i am asking a basic question. but i could not locate the answer
> on my own.
>
> i just want to allow a particular user to shutdown the system. anyway,
> control alter delete sequence works for all users. and i will rather
> allow a proper shutdown.
>
> how do i implement this?

As always there is more than one way:

- change the group of /sbin/shutdown to the new group "shutdown"
- change permissions of /sbin/shutdown to 750
- set SUID Bit of /sbin/shutdown (chmod u+s)
- add the user to the group "shutdown"

OR

man sudo
--

Matthias Hentges
[www.hentges.net] -> PGP + HTML are welcome

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice