Re: framebuffer mode?

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 05:20:05AM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 22:45, Pigeon wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:07:06 +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh
> > <deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com> wrote:
> >
> Framebuffer is more significant on some non-i386 systems, where there
> isn't quite the normal text mode (at least, according to the kernel docs
> related to that code.) I use framebuffer on my machine with the Sun
> 12x22 font, which is significantly easier to read than the standard PC
> font (I worked with the details of typography for over a decade through
> the early days of desktop publishing.)

now, where do i get these different fonts and wehre do i put them?

> Framebuffer is also nice for
> being able to view graphical material such as PostScript, pdfs and dvi
> without needing to use dead trees or run X11 - useful when somehow X11
> gets damaged.

this is interesting. i do get occassional pdf documents as attachments. and yes, when i
boot, it does show a nice penguin as it switches to framebuffer mode. now, how can i view
the pdf documents without going to X?

> A quick question since I always roll my own kernels: Do the Debian
> kernels that come with framebuffer include a variety of fonts for use on
> them? If so, you can take a swing at the Sun font by adding the
> following to your boot parameters for a kernel at boot time (or append=
> in /etc/lilo.conf, and rerun lilo):
>
>  video=<framebuffer video device name>:<resolution and
>         frequency>,font:SUN12x22

i will try adding these lines to lilo.conf

regards,

sandip p deshmukh

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.