Power outage: partition lost

I have had a couple of power outages this week and my systems
crashed badly as a result.

I run ext3 on all of my Linux systems and no critical data was lost.
However the /opt partition (/dev/hda10) with games on it, was badly
damaged. I had to run a manual fsck and had to answer lot of
questions. To be honest, I wasn't sure what I was doing.

I am wondering why /opt which is mounted rw, but in actual use is
read-only (install as root, play as me), would be the victim. Things
could have been worse / or /home so I am not complaining, but hope
for some insight.

Note to self: start creating backups NOW.

Bob