Re: dosemu

Jeff Coppock wrote:

> I also was able to get the cdrom active.  I would suggest
> adding that to your doc.  I used this link to figure out
> how:

> http://dosemu.sourceforge.net/docs/README/0.98/README-8.html

> However, I have a problem with it.  Installing from the
> cdrom hangs after a few minutes and doesn't recover.  It's
> also VERY slow.

Well,

<RANT>
The dosemu README on dosemu.sourgeforce.net is one of the reasons
why I think the dosemu documentation is atrocious.
</RANT>

Another method to use cd-rom's is to mount them from Linux (say,
by calling mount /cdrom, if you've set it up that way). You can
call from dosemu:

  lredir d: linux\fs/cdrom

You can put this in autoexec.bat. The cd-rom is now DOS drive D:
if a cd-rom has been mounted in Linux. If no cd-rom has been
mounted, D: still exist, but it is a directory that has nothing in
it, and is not writable from DOS, so it does not harm either.

This means you have to mount (and unmount) cdroms from Linux, but
that is not much trouble because you are in X anyway, and there
probably is some xterm window open at the same time that you are
running xdosemu. So you can easily give the mount/umount commands.

This approach avoids messing around with CDROM.SYS and MSCDEX. It
seemed quite stable and fast when I tried reading text files from
cdroms with it, but I do not have any cdroms with DOS programs on
them, so I could not properly test it for installing programs. I'd
be grateful if you could.

regards, Jan