Re: dpkg and dselect

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 03:47:53PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> hello all
>
> for purging installed packages, i usually use dselect. mark the package for purging and go ahead.
>
> will it have the same effect if i do:
>
> dpkg -P packagename

Mostly, yes.  But dpkg doesn't automatically handle dependencies; if I
'dpkg -P gkrellm2', then dpkg will complain thusly:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of gkrellm2:
 gkrellmms2 depends on gkrellm2.
dpkg: error processing gkrellm2 (--purge):
 dependency problems - not removing
 gkrellm2

If you try this in dselect, then it'll ask you if it can remove all the
plugins that depend on gkrellm2 as well.  Aptitude and apt work like
this also.

-rob