Re: Apache (PHP not working)

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 03:32:15AM -0800, Michelle Storm wrote:
> A little background.
>
> jade@dragon:~$ uname -a
> Linux dragon.ursine.dyndns.org 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
>
> **I would be using the newest kernel: 2.4.19-k7, except that I don't
> know how to install a module to run my network card which uses 8139
> drivers.**

Install the new kernel, the reboot into it.  Run 'depmod' and
'update-modules', then you can run modconf and select your Ethernet
driver.  It's called '8139too' and it should be in 'kernel/drivers/net'
section.

> Last time all I had to do was fix the mime.types
> this time they are correct (that I can tell)
>
> I've done everything I can think of. (I was using apache2, found out
> that php doesn't work with apache2 yet.. so installed apache again.
>
> Then I removed everything related to apache and php
> then I installed apache and php
>
> it still gives me the exact error above.
>
> My php files work on roomates apache and as far as I can tell.. mine is
> setup nearly identical to his. So I don't know what's wrong.
>

> 1) I have used /etc/init.d/apache restart (stop, start)
> 2) I have tried /etc/init.d/apachectl restart (stop, start)
> 3) I have restarted my computer completely
> 4) removed apache and php packages
> 5) reinstalled apache and php packages
> 6) retried steps 1 - 3.
>
> Still not working. So now I'm asking for any help I can get. This has
> stumped me. And my roommate refuses to help.

Open up /etc/apache/httpd.conf and make the following changes:
* uncomment the 'LoadModule php4...' line
* add 'index.php' to the end of the DirectoryIndex line in the
  '<IfModule mod_dir.c>' section
* uncomment the 'AddType' lines, right where it tells you to do so (you
  want the php4 set, not the php3 ones).

Tell apache to reload it's config files (/etc/init.d/apache reload), and
you should be done.

-rob