Re: [OT] Debian NetBSD

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 22:16, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:31:53PM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 14:54, Todd Marek wrote:
> > > has anyone here used Debian NetBSD yet?  if so how does it compare to
> > > debian linux?
> >
> > Not that I've used it, but I thought it had been tripped up some due to
> > certain core parts being under a BSD license that proves to be not
> > exactly free,
>
> s/free/GPL-compatible/
>
> That said, I don't think this is a major stumbling block.
>
> I know one of the guys working on Debian GNU/NetBSD, and have watched
> him hacking on it on occasion; it works in the sense that it boots, runs
> a reasonable installation of standard packages, and he can use it. I
> don't think anybody's claiming it's ready for general use in the same
> way Debian GNU/Linux is, though.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

Some more tasty sole-of-foot there on my part - when you deal with the
GPL in the middle of so much of what you are dealing with, sometimes I
slip-up and equate GPL-compatibility with a definition of free. It does
make it awkward when being free doesn't mean being able to work together
due to incompatibilities :(

All that said, there is much chatter on Debian-BSD that there is a drive
to release as part of the next release cycle - that it would be a
release of Debian GNU, with a choice of underlying kernels and libs.
Similar rumbling arises on the Debian-Hurd list, but I get the
impression that some more work is needed there.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org