Re: Preload Openoffice.org at X startup

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 10:07:31PM +0000, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> Failing any built-in, background server type functionality, would
> "cat <oo-binary-I-use-most> > /dev/null &" in my .xinitrc be of any
> /real/ use?

From a theoretical standpoint, not really.  It's not loading the
binary from disk that makes loading OpenOffice.org slow.  It's the
actual steps it has to take to initalize itself that take so long.
Cat'ing the binary to /dev/null does not cause this to happen,
therefore, I wouldn't think that it would be of much use.

Edward Guldemond

GPG Key: 0x4E505B0F
Key fingerprint:  4CAC 6740 C1CD 3CE4 6CA0
                  34E9 B3B7 18EC 4E50 5B0F