Re: What's an X2 modem?

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:53 -0200, andrej hocevar wrote:
> recently, someone's gave me an older internal USR V.90 modem,
> supposed to work at 56k. However, all I got were speeds at about
> 33k. That was when I noticed the modem uses some X2 technology.
>
> Can I make such a modem useful? I've read some sites saying it
> depends on the ISP -- so does it mean mine doesn't support it or are
> X2 modems simply out of fashion? Is there any software I lack to
> make full use of the modem?

whoa, this is a while back but I believe before they standardized on
v90 56k there was x2 and flex? 56k standards.  Not sure about this but
if the isp has USR or USR compatible 56k modems then you could
conceivably get more than 33k, if not, then not.  I would try to see if
you can update the firmware or bios or whatever it's called for your
modem. Maybe this would make it workable with v90.  Maybe at 3com's
site somewhere.