Re: true-type and wine

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:29:13AM +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
> In previous posts, some have said that you do not need to install xfstt
> fontserver. However, no one has said that they have been successful with
> this approach. I know that xfstt works for me in the Gimp,
> OpenOffice.org, etc. (I am not running Wine, though I don't see why it
> should not work here too.)

I'm using TT fonts right now, and I haven't gone near a font server
since I switched to XFree86 4.0.

> Section "Files"
> 	FontPath	"unix/:7100"	# local font server
> #	FontPath	"unix/:7110"	# local font server
> # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
> 	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
> #	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
> #	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
> #	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
> #	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
> #	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
> #	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
> #	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
> EndSection

Just add a FontPath entry for the directory you dumped the TT fonts in.
You'll need to do the whole mkttfdir thing, which I'm sure someone else
has posted, and restart X, but it should work just fine after that.
IIRC, you can get instructions from http://www.paulandlesley.com/linux/.

> 4. Verify that xfs fonts are visible:
> Restart X and run the command 'xlsfonts'.

Yep, they should come up here.

If you're running testing or unstable, then you could just install the
msttcorefonts package and all of this will be handled automatically.

-rob