Re: alsa: no device

Thaden <thaden@freenet.de> writes:
> aha! there seems to be some relevant information here, although i don't
> know what to do with it:
>
> "modprobe snd-cmipci" answers "/lib/modules/2.4.18-k7/alsa/snd-cmipci.o:
> init_module: No such device"
>
> dmesg has as last lines "ALSA ../alsa-kernel/pci/cmipci.c:2527: unable
> to grab ports 0xd800-0xd8ff
> C-Media PCI soundcard not found or device busy"
>
> it seems that on boottime a module "cmpci" is loaded -- could this be
> the reason why the alsa module can't be loaded?? unfortunately, i have
> no idea how to unload that module, on "rmmod cmpci" it claims that the
> device is busy, even if i killed esd.
> so question really might be: how do i get rid of the other sound module?

I think you've figured out the basic problem: the OSS driver is
getting loaded and taking control of the device before ALSA gets a
chance.

Seems like you need to find were the OSS driver is getting loaded.
Try something like "grep cmpci /etc/modutils/*".  If you can find an
alias for that driver, comment it out, run update-modules and then
reboot.

If that doesn't work and no one else here knows what to do, the ALSA
users mailing list (alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net) may be able to
help.

I know nothing about either of these drivers or about this specific
device.  Sorry I can't help more.  I hope someone else can fill in the
blanks.

Good luck,
--
  Jack O'Quin