about quotas?

I have a question, which really doesn't concern quotas as far as I understand them.

Over the weekend, I needed to perform a task whereby a file was written from an NT 4 server to a samba share on a Debian server. The file was about 3.5 gig. At 3.2 I received an error to the effect that there was no more disk space left, although in fact the partition size was about 28 gig.

So, just for the sake of it, I copied the file from the server to the partition and it worked! After deleting the file, I tried to perform the original operation again, but it would only write about 1 meg of information and then error out that there was no space.

Why would this be happening?

btw, I don't have quotas enabled.

Curtis Vaughan