This is elementary I sure but I have never gotten it right.

My modules never loaded at startup. I tried putting a script in rc2.d with /sbin/depmod but this has no effect - i.e. lsmod shows nothing.

Recently I installed a Geforce4 MX440 board. With help from the list I got the proper tar files from Nvidia and, if I go to /lib/.../video and run insmod ./NVdriver and then xdm everything works perfectly. On bootup, however, the driver module is not installed and xdm fails.

I would appreciate a little coaching to straighten this out.