Re: Upgrading to XFree 4.2.1-3

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 04:19:17PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Well, I'm scared, since I don't want to trash X Windows.  Other
> than saving copies of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and /etc/X11/fs/config,
> are there any other preparations that I should make before taking
> the upgrade plunge?

No Debian package is going to overwrite your locally changed config
files.  If one does, it's a very serious bug and should be reported to
the BTS (http://bugs.debian.org/).  You might have once told X that
debconf should manage your XF86Config4, so that might be overwritten,
but it back up your original and you can easily change your mind with a
'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'.

Aside from that, 4.2 supports more cards, has a lot of bug fixes and
should just generally work better.  Enjoy!

-rob