Re: UNIX shells - Bourne and C

In article <[🔎] 20021110192440.GB25950@misery.proulx.com>,
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
>The old Bourne shell is not free software.  Therefore only commercial
>proprietary systems have it available.  You won't find it in a Debian
>system for this reason.  In fact I know not of any free software based
>system that has the Real Thing available.  Since only rewritten clones
>are available anyone that has taken the time to rewrite the old Bourne
>/bin/sh will have taken the time to make it a modern standard
>conforming /bin/sh.  (However, perhaps someone can prove me wrong.)
>
>In order to find a Real Thing copy of the Bourne shell you would need
>to run on a commercial proprietary system which still has the legacy
>executables on the system.

Well, not really. Here ya go:
http://ftp.gcu-squad.org/tuhs/PDP-11/Distributions/research/Henry_Spencer_v7/

The original Unix v7 sources for the PDP11. Including 'sh' and 'cc'.

There's also a binary distribution floating around on the net,
and a PDP11 emulator. I've booted Unix v7 (from 1979!) and recompiled
some utilities, talk about retro computing!

Ah, at the same site. See
http://ftp.gcu-squad.org/tuhs/PDP-11/Emulators/Supnik_2.3/

Anybody want to do a Debian/V7 ? ;)

Ofcourse, all this stuff predates posix by at least a decade.

Mike.