Re: DCOP problems... Kicker won't start at kdelaunch

Hi,
> From: Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net>
> First off, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of stability running a
> development kernel (^:  That being said, mtrr is:

I wouldn't say that. I've been running dev kernels, including the current config of 2.5.44, for some time, both on Woody and Gentoo without problems.

>   On Intel P6 family processors (Pentium Pro, Pentium II and later)
>   the Memory Type Range Registers (MTRRs) may be used to control
>   processor access to memory ranges. This is most useful when you have
>   a video (VGA) card on a PCI or AGP bus. Enabling write-combining
>   allows bus write transfers to be combined into a larger transfer
>   before bursting over the PCI/AGP bus. This can increase performance
>   of image write operations 2.5 times or more.
>
> see /usr/src/linux-2.4.19/Documentation/mtrr.text for more.  Doesn't
> sound like what's causing your problems, though - this'll just give you
> better video frame rates.

Yes, that's why I use it... Thanks! :)

> DCOP is the KDE server that allows apps to communicate with each other
> and the desktop environment.  If that's experiencing communication
> failures, then that would be why your apps are having a hard time.
>
> I would suggest trying with a stable kernel - apt-get install one of the
> 2.4.x kernels optimized for your processor type and see howit goes.

I booted the 2.2.19 kernel installed during installation with the same results. Logging on as root works fine, so it would seem like some kind of permission related problem - my only user suddenly lacks some kind of permissions. Since I havent modified any systempermissions I find that a bit odd...? What I did howerver, was to remove kdm... Using "update-rc -f kdm remove" and then killing kdm. Maybe that backfired somehow?

Pontus