Re: Problem with DRI and ati 128 card

This one time, at band camp, Dave North said:
> The recent update on sarge to xfree86 4.2 (I hope I got that right)
> broke DRI on my ati 128 card. I was able to fix this by replacing the
> two new files /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r128_dri.so and
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o with the older ones from woody.
> 	I have no idea what package installs those files, so I can't figure
> 	out
> where to send the bug report. Can help? Asking as per:
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
> > If you can't seem to determine which package contains the problem,
> > please send e-mail to the Debian user mailing list asking for advice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave North

steve@gashuffer:~$ dpkg -S /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r128_dri.so
xlibmesa3: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r128_dri.so

steve@gashuffer:~$ dpkg -S /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o
xserver-xfree86: /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o

And it's not a bug, it's a feature (^:  X 4.2 requires newer versions of
these drivers than are available in any kernel before 2.4.20-pre5 -
either keep the drivers in sync (as you did) or upgrade your kernel, as
I did.

HTH,
|Stephen Gran                  | We have ears, earther...FOUR OF THEM!         |
|steve@lobefin.net             |                                               |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                               |