Vim weirdness

Hello,

Sometimes when I format a paragraph in vim with 'Qap' I get results like this:

xxx xxx xxxxx xxxxxxx x xxxx xxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxx
xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxx x xxxx xxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxx
xxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx x xxxx xxxxxxx xxx xxxxxx xxx
xxx xxx xxxxxxxxxxxx x xxxx xxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxx
    xxxx xxxxxxxx xxx x xxxx xxxx xxxx.
    xxxx xxxxxxxx xxx x xxxx xxxx xxxx.

Why do the last lines indent?  If I join all the lines and reformat, the result
is the same.  There's no predicting when it will happen.  Weird.  I there some
strange setting I've included or omitted from my .vimrc?

Thanks.

Curt