Re: [OT] Compiling From source

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 12:25:57PM +0000, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> 1. How easy is it to set something up so a group of packages get
> automatically compiled (with some preset flags for optimization).

Setting CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS will work for 99% of programs.  Maybe
apt-build is worth a look?

> 2. Which all packages are the prime candidates. Presumably XFree86 is a
> candidate - what about libc and suchlike. I already compile the kernel.
> Would compiling gcc speed up compiling ?

I don't know about this.  There used to be problems with optimising
libc, but I've no idea if they're still around.  You'll need to
investigate, I guess.  Maybe the gentoo site would have useful info?

> 3. How much minimum spare hard drive space would I need?

The kernel source is ~120MB, and takes on the order of a few hundred meg
to build in.  Mozilla is a similar size, but takes ~1GB to build, IIRC.
No idea about X, but I'd say it would be on the Mozilla side of things.

> 3. Is it worth it ?

Probably not.  Optimising for a Pentium is apparently worth it, but
Pentium Pro + it seems to be mostyl pointless.  That said, if you have
the time, give it a go!  Report your results back here and maybe you'll
change peoples minds.

-rob