Re: [OT] Compiling From source

Hi,

* Shri Shrikumar <shri@urbyte.com> [02-11-10 13:25]:
>1. How easy is it to set something up so a group of packages get
>automatically compiled (with some preset flags for optimization).

With Gentoo - easy. With Debian it would take probably much longer
than you can ever hope to save later.

>2. Which all packages are the prime candidates. Presumably XFree86 is a
>candidate - what about libc and suchlike. I already compile the kernel.

Anything you often use, most certainly the libc and X, maybe qt or
gtk or whatever.

>Would compiling gcc speed up compiling ?

Yes, but it should have no effect on the speed of the compiled
program.

>3. How much minimum spare hard drive space would I need?

Never had a problem with that, couldn't be much.

>3. Is it worth it ?

No. You wouldn't notice any difference.

Thorsten
--
Getting a thrill out of some stupid quote is a sign of idiocy.
    - turmeric