mkboot w/ bzImage?

I just recompiled my kernel under debian woody.  I would like to make
boot floppy for it.  So.. I typed 'mkboot
/usr/src/.../arch/i386/boot/bzImage'.  It made the floppy, but when I
reboot with floppy - it doesn't work.  The kernel appears to load, but
then the screen blanks out and the power cycles.

What gives?

Should I be working with a 'vmlinuz' file instead of 'bzImage'.  Could
it be that the kernel I made is crap?

I don't want  run lilo of hard drive.  Just off boot floppy.

TIA.