Re: recover ext3 deletion

Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> [2002-11-10 03:22:22 +0000]:
> Some weirdness here... My Debian 2.1 single-CD version, using bash,
> DIDN'T. I remember quite clearly looking in the docs for how to change
> it, failing to find the 'official' method and ending up using
> something with `pwd`.

The user .profile and other files are installed from templates in
/etc/skel/.??* which are the skeleton files.  They are the files for
which new user's are initialized.  Once initialized the user files are
never touched again.  Since this is only initialization if a system
release updates the files you will not see them in existing accounts.
Only new user accounts will get the new files when the are created
from the new templates.

I have not looked at the history but probably back for your Debian 2.1
system the skeleton files did not contain that configuration.  But now
they do.  Unless you were to recreate your user account as a new
account your profile will be not be updated.  You will continue to
operate with the same file forever.

If you care to see what the released skeleton files for new user
accounts are and how they differ from your current ones you could diff
the /etc/skell directory against your own.  You might even decide to
add features from them to your configuration.  However, the skeleton
files are very lean and mean.  Probably you would want to keep your
existing files in most cases.

  for i in /etc/skel/.??*;do diff $i ~/;done 2>&1 | less

Bob