Re: Samba with automount cdroms drives.

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 07:28:30PM +0100, Tim Hägele wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I have recently build a 8xDVD tower using woody. I setuped autofs for it.
> But it seams like sometimes it doesnt umount the drive or think its in
> use, and therefore you cant open the drive.

I presume that you mean open="eject the media", as opposed to open="read
the media"

In your subject line, you mention samba. As far as I know (and I am
*not* and expert on this), windows clients have no way of telling the
fileserver that "I've finished with this share".

To find out, try running smbstatus and see whether it reports any
services in use. I bet it does. And if samba (i.e. smbd) is using the
directory, then autofs won't umount it, and you won't be able to eject
the media.

I have used a similar scheme for other removeable devices in the past. I
ended up setting "deadtime" in /etc/samba/smb.conf. Not a perfect
solution, but with the correct combination of deadtime and autofs
timeout it should be of some use for you.

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com        http://karl.jorgensen.com