Re: Network go boom

Okay I'm stupid. I just used ifdown eth0 --force, then restarted the router, then did ifup and now it works fine.

Sorry for wasting space.

On Friday, November 8, 2002, at 10:39  AM, Todd Marek wrote:

Hello-
I've been running a debian development server happily for a few months now in my home on a small local network. I run all my machines through a 4 port router connected to a cable modem. I typically use ssh to control the box and this morning when downloading a package I got the following error:

04:06:38 (15.15 KB/s) - `jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12.tar.gz' saved [5714133/5714133]

pico-chan:/home/affe23/source# Write failed: Host is down

I checked the machine and it was still alive but I rebooted using- shutdown -r now. when it came back up I could no longer get out to the internet or even ping the router anymore. my /etc/network/interfaces file reads as follows for eth0:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

I've tried using ifdown - ifup to reconfigure but get the same errors. I also tried rerunning the /etc/dhclient-script but nothing seems to work.

When I run ifconfig eth0 it shows up with the same ip it was assigned before, but if I just run ifconfig it only shows my local loopback address.

Todd Marek